Out of the refiner's fire can come a glorious deliverance...it is part of the purging toll exacted by some to become acquainted with God. By James E. Faust

Friday, March 22, 2013

Co Parenting Counseling and the Jerry Springer Show

Ok...
I am sure it is pretty obvious by now that I struggle having any kind of communication with my X.  I will assume that the people reading my blog are fairly intelligent and 'get that'....hope I didn't offend anyone :)

Anyway...after the mediator says our kids/family is being divided by the actions of my X and I and the 'parenting plan' (visitation, etc.) is not in the best interest of the children the judge says we need 'co parenting' counseling....sigh...

I start checking around for someone to do it...and I get one guy to call me back and he says..."I have to confess...if you hadn't mentioned who referred you to me I would not have called you back...no counselor likes to do 'co parenting counseling'." He then asked if I have ever seen the Jerry Springer Show...he mentions that the concept of having 2 people that can't stand each other to work through sharing kids is a nightmare that no counselor wants.  As he put it in that perspective, I could understand his point.

Now...gotta say...my counselor friend tells me there is an actual 'co parenting protocol' that her county uses and they actually have a list of issues they go through..how to communicate...switch kids etc...but I don't know of that in the county where I live...so...I am back to counselors...

Well...my X mentions that the counselor we went to for 'marriage counseling' might do it.  I, of course, was struggling with insurance issues and trying to find an LDS counselor and someone that worked during the hours I was off...and someone that I would like...all very difficult to do...so when my X suggested our old counselor I 'jumped on the idea'.  After all, our marriage counselor 'totally got me' and 'had my back' why would I not want to go back to him...

So...fast forward to sitting with our marriage counselor...my X starts complaining about the same old stuff...most of it is stuff that happened at the very beginning of our separation...as I am sitting there it occurs to me...he has so NOT MOVED ON! He is worried about who to blame...I won't let the kids see him...I schedule activities so they don't want to see him...I over schedule and involved them in extra activities...like teenagers in a 2 parent household would stay home every weekend and sit around playing video games with their dad?

I starting seeing that the counselor 'gets it' and I don't have to respond or defend everything my X said...that was a nice feeling...I still need to support how I feel, but I didn't feel the 'desperate need to protect myself'. I am hoping that is progress?

So...we survive our first session of 'co parenting counseling' and then on to getting my son some counseling.

This is the counselor that referenced the Jerry Springer Show...well..that is pretty much what it turned into...

I couldn't believe it..he finally asked my son to wait outside while he talked to my X and I.  My X said all kinds of crazy things...everything from...'she is using counseling to blame me for the divorce' to 'I have family that has dealt with divorce and counseling screwed up their kids' to 'I like counseling but they don't need it...they are normal teenagers and counseling won't change the fact that their parents are divorced' to 'if we take the kids to counseling they will think they have a problem'. I was impressed with the counselor..he weathered it well...and I gotta confess...reminded me of 'The Jerry Springer Show' and when the guests would be saying the most ludicrous things...and arguing over the most stupid issues...I am glad there was not a video camera...I will say I didn't feel on the 'defense' like I have in the past...the need to 'protect my image' or 'justify my actions' and I am getting better at keeping my mouth shut...so maybe I am progressing...

I will say that my knowledge of 'counseling buzz words' was beneficial...I felt I could explain why I wanted my son in counseling and what I hoped he would get out of it...

Why do I want my kids in counseling?  Well...I get that some counselors just cause issues...and are trying to pay their 'mortgage' and perhaps will continue to see people as long as the person is willing to come and not make plans...others truly want to 'help' those that have more 'drama/trauma' then they can handle...the best thing I have learned in counseling?  How to separate what I can change and 'rethink' how to deal with what I can't change...that part of it has been a huge help...so...do I want my kids to have that knowledge and ability?  Heck ya!  Do I feel that my kids have had more than a 'normal share' of drama/trauma?  Yes!  Do they deserve to have the best shot possible at 'healing'?  Yes!  So...do I support counseling?  Yes I do.  Even if I don't like it some days :)

So...my son's first counseling session didn't work out as we hoped...but he will get another one next week. My son did ask me if we (my X and I) were going to be in there during his session...I told him no...he was obviously relieved...

Well...if anyone else out there has any suggestions on how to better survive all the 'together time' and counseling...feel free to let me know...

Kids deserve the opportunity to learn how to 'deal' and more importantly 'heal' from the challenges that are put in their path...if we as parents don't have those skills or tools...I feel we need to find a way for our children to learn them from others...but that is just my opinion...

4 comments:

  1. I am an LDS mom and have been through a divorce. I am so sorry for what you are going through. I am remarried now and love to tell people there is hope. I found a wonderful gem of a man and although life is complicated now dealing with both former spouses, blending families etc. It is also very happy. I am an emotional freedom technique practitioner (tapping) and I help support people through traumas past and/or present. I work internationally, but reside in Utah. I wanted to provide my contact info in case you or anyone you know going through this would like to heal and receive support from an understanding practitioner. My name is Karina Biesinger of Morph Image and Lifestyle and my contact number is 760-271-9015. Sending love and hope, xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your contact information Karina...my goal is to help others out there that may be having similar struggles to know that they are not alone...and that they can heal...and things will get better...thank you for support me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to say that you should see a licensed MFT or other licensed professional psychologist. I have a Ph.D. in psych and am so sick of people who do not have proper training counseling others. Check out AAMFT if you need help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your thoughts. I have seen a counselor quite a bit over the last 4 years, and I agree with you it makes a huge difference. I also think it is important to find a counselor that you can work with. I have learned there is a difference between those that are competently trained and have earned degrees and those that are just 'good with people'. A counselor can make a difference, a great counselor can help you take a hold of your life and truly 'live'.

    ReplyDelete