Out of the refiner's fire can come a glorious deliverance...it is part of the purging toll exacted by some to become acquainted with God. By James E. Faust

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Flat Tire, Tender Mercies, My Wall and Now I am Better?

So...I had a crazy weekend...lots of things happened...X continues to be a jerk...at least he is consistent.

I have been thinking a lot about my wall...How high it is...what it looks like...etc...

So I am working through things...feeling pretty good Spiritually...thinking about how I 'can survive' counseling without too much stress and anxiety...and I am feeling pretty good.  I start to think that I am not feeling any anxiety and maybe some pretty good things can happen...the feeling grows...

I get through work...realize I am on time and I have a strong hope that things can get better for me and I can move on my path towards healing. I am driving down the freeway...grateful that I am a little before the 'traffic time' and then I hear a weird pop...and I think, "Did I just lose my hubcab?"  And I decide I better pull off...car starts vibrating...and YES! I have a flat tire...oh joy...

Interesting part was...there was no traffic...I had no problem moving over 3 lanes to exit the freeway...pull off...I was thinking of circling back to a gas station...then decide to pull into a parking lot so I don't ruin my rim...I call for service..start thinking about doing it myself...then I see an ice cream store.  What are the odds...so I go and buy a 'black raspberry chip' sugar cone and just as I finish the guy shows up to change my tire...a very 'nice' looking young man I will have to admit...and I still have time to get to my counseling appointment.

As I pulled out to drive to my appointment I was really proud of myself that I wasn't upset...part of me wondered if the 'adversary' was trying to stop me from getting to my appointment...but...didn't work...heck I was only about 40 minutes late :) I then realized how many 'tender mercies' had just happened.  Everything from the lack of traffic, closeness of an exit, a parking lot to wait, and the ICE CREAM STORE! The Lord was definitely looking out for me. I felt truly blessed :)

Counseling...I am talking about my wall...what it is like...how I feel...what is around that I can use to get over it. It was weird to think that I 'was' thinking the other side of the wall was bad and the little girl inside of me was 'scared and alone' because she was away from me...then realizing that 'she' was just fine...it was me that was all alone and had blocked out the 'love and joy' of my Heavenly Father because the feelings were too intense and I couldn't handle them.

I thought about 'why' I would be afraid of the wall and what was on the other side...I knew that rationally it didn't make sense...then I realized it was like the fear of a child...it didn't make sense...but it was real. So, I am talking to my counselor...she is asking me what it is like?  How tall is it? Are there any holes? Is anyone else around? Are there materials around?  And I came up with 'nothing'.

She asks me 'what does the wall need?'  It needs to get blown up...that's what it needs...we talk about my fears...she asks why I would be afraid? I say I am afraid it will be more 'emotion' than I can handle...I am not very good at handling my own emotion...it is kind of new for me...then we talk about taking the wall down a little at a time...so I can get used to it...

Then she says..."Can you make the wall smaller?"  Holy Crap...hadn't thought about that...the next thing I see in my head it has shrunk to about 1/3 the size and is now just over my head!  I can almost 'see' over the top...but I am still afraid...I realize that I am not alone and I can tell myself that I don't have to deal with the other side all at once.

So...to make a long story short...what is in my head now?  A small garden wall that I can easily step over if I choose...I am still thinking about how I want to do that and what it will mean and how it will feel...but the best part is that "I" get to make the choice.

There is a part of me that wonders if 'all my issues will diminish' once I step across the wall?  What did the wall represent?  Why is it there? Am I truly 'done' with the wall? I am sure I won't need it anymore?  Am I strong enough to 'deal' with what is on the other side?
 
Heck...I have no idea.  What I do know is that I don't feel scared. I am feeling more at peace than I have felt for a long time...my X is going to continue to be a jerk...and I will just let him do his thing.  I won't 'stir his pot' unless I have to for the kids' sake. How incredible this would be if I am healing and my life is in a position that I can 'deal' with all the garbage and still stay happy and focused and centered...that is my prayer!

No comments:

Post a Comment